New York Food Recommendations
Since there are sooo many good restaurants (and bars) everywhere on practically every street corner,
Keep in mind, most businesses close within a year
due to so much competition everywhere.
Any place open for several years in NY is considered good!!
1) Bagels, pretzels, pizza, and hot dogs anywhere or sold on the street
2) Gray’s Papaya (Hot Dogs)
3) Mamoun’s Falafel Place – EAST VILLAGE
- It’s just a little hole in the wall (only 2 or 3 seats so people usually grab and go; line can go out the door but they prepare the food quickly)
- You can sit in washington square park for a few minutes watching the street performers while you eat then continue walkin around the city
- or you can walk down St. Mark’s Street & sit at Tompkins Square Park (though not as nice as Washington square park)
4) Rudy’s in Hell’s Kitchen – Get free hot dogs with every beer purchase
- Order blonde beer
- Long lasting nyc institution been around for 100 years
- 627 9th avenue between 44th and 45th street
5) Martini Bar called Vintage
- 753 9th Avenue between 50th st. & 51st
6) Birdland – Cajun/creole food
- live jazz music
- $40 per person
- 315 W 44th between 8th avenue and 9th avenue
7) Carbone – Italian
- 331 W 38th between 8th avenue and 9th avenue
- ravioli stuffed with eggplant
8) Pegu – Chinese Themed Bar
- Chinese themed bar located upstairs in a building. they are known for specialty cocktails,
- Small bar appetizers that are around 10-12 bucks
9) The Republic – Pan Asian food
- Reasonable prices 8-12 with fresh ingredients
10) Cafetasia – Thai/Curry
11) Maoz – Vegetarian/Falafel
- Falafel, good pitas, veggie, Greek/Middle Eastern Organic buffet
12) Big Nicks Diner – Midtown
- over 100 items on the menu
Upper West Side
14) Strictly Roots – Vegan Soul Food
at a GREAT value like 6-8 a plate and its all REALLY good… very rasta
15) Sylvia Soul Food
- If you want we can also go to one of the more popular soul food restaurants in harlem like sylvias – http://www.sylviassoulfood.com/
- Meat fried chicken and waffels are the stable menu item there.
- Slightly over priced, and isn’t much different than the Roscoes chicken and waffel in LB.
- However, Sylvias is that one tourist restaurant in harlem everyone flocks over too
16) Casa Frela
- Africa heritage art gallery that has works of many contemporary African American artists and is something really unique considering the history of that area
- It is only open on friday from 12-4pm
17) Sip Bar – Happy Hour 5pm-7pm
- FREE ALL YOU CAN EAT TAPAS with a happy hour drink 🙂
- The owner Cyrus makes sure the food is always amazing, and the environment of this small lounge/bar.
- Great specialty cocktails, teas, coffee
18) Magnolia Bakery – Cupcakes! on Bleecker St.
long line out the door! Very sweet with lots of frosting!